Monique Doughty, a critical care nurse that transitioned to become a full-time motivational speaker, digital influencer, travel host and career/confidence coach, speaks with Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy Podcast. Monique, also known as Nurse Mo, discusses her healthcare journey, the lessons she learned and how she ultimately designed a business and life she loves.
- Where did Monique grow up?
- How did she enter the healthcare space and how did she transition into blogging and entrepreneurship?
- Even though Monique failed her nursing boards twice, she persevered and knew ultimately, she wanted to be a travel nurse.
- Monique became a CNA, passed the boards and was then hired.
- After one year, she went to a Trauma 1 hospital to gain crucial experience before becoming a travel nurse.
- When she saw travel nursing didn’t include anyone who looked like her, she began to create through vlogging and blogging.
- After talking about failing her boards and how Kaplan helped her pass, Monique became Kaplan’s first digital spokesperson.
- Monique knew she wanted to provide a new face to healthcare based on the experiences she had and the diverse people she saw.
- Monique describes her process for goal setting.
- She began speaking in 2017 and realized she wanted to focus on education full-time.
- She outsourced her Resilient Nurse brand to 31 ambassadors.
- How did Monique develop strategic partnerships? How did the conversations evolve?
- Monique talks about her vision and value for long-term sustainability vs. short-term cash.
- How can people partner with influencers if they want to collaborate?
- Monique shares her formula for an effective email pitch to an influencer.
- How do you connect with people who have huge audiences?
- How does Monique prepare for speaking events? How did she get to this level of motivational speaking?
- How did she become a travel coach?
3 Key Points:
- Monique wanted to change the face of healthcare by providing better representation for African American healthcare professionals.
- Monique removed the things she was no longer passionate about and outsourced them so she could pursue the things that interested her most.
- When entering into strategic partnerships, think carefully about how you can use the opportunity to take your brand to the next level.
- “Do the hard stuff early.” – Monique Doughty
- “I wanted to change the face of healthcare so people could understand that whether you were black, yellow, brown, old, young, male or female, you can do a job that helps others, pays you well, give you the ability to travel and you can be employable for the rest of your life.” – Monique Doughty
- “I think being intentional makes a world of a difference because you can see it, you can feel it, and then you can go after it.” – Monique Doughty
- “Think about long-term stability vs. short-term cash.” – Monique Doughty
- “Being paid for your work is an act of self-love.” – Monique Doughty
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #HealthcareBoss #healthcare #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #blog #vlog #travelnurse #motivationalspeaker #digitalinfluencer #travelcoach