Dr. Arlen Meyers MD, Founder, President and CEO of the Society of Physician Entrepreneurs, speaks with Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy Podcast. In this episode, they discuss updating medical school curriculum, the rise of digital health, important business factors healthcare entrepreneurs should consider and more.
- What is Arlen’s background and how did he transition into entrepreneurship?
- Why did he start the Society of Physician Entrepreneurs (SoPE) and what industry problem is he trying to solve?
- Arlen highlights how someone can tell if he/she has an entrepreneurial mindset before trying to commercialize an idea.
- How does the current healthcare system discourage innovation and entrepreneurship?
- Arlen talks about how he’d change medical school education.
- What is the importance of exposing medical students to digital health?
- What are some of the problems the healthcare industry is facing when it comes to innovation?
- Arlen describes a “failure resume.” What is “fail it, nail it, scale it and sale it”?
- Arlen explains the meaning of “compassionate capitalism.”
- What is the mission of SoPE and how can you join?
3 Key Points:
- Medical professionals are not taught to have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Entrepreneurship is not just about creating businesses.
- The healthcare industry is not currently set up to support entrepreneurship.
- “What got you to where you are now will not get you to where you want to go. So what you did to become an anesthesiologist or a ketamine infusion center director will not get you to where you want to go if you want to pursue entrepreneurship.” – Dr. Arlen Meyers
- “What entrepreneurship is about is creating user-defined value through the deployment of innovation using a viable business model.” – Dr. Arlen Meyers
- Society of Physician Entrepreneurs website: https://sopenet.org/
- Dr. Arlen Meyers Socials:
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #HealthcareBoss #healthcare #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurialmindset #innovation #digitalhealth