Brian Mohika, BSN, RN and CEO of CathWear, speaks with Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy Podcast. In this episode, they talk about how Brian was inspired to invent products to address the needs and challenges of his patients. Brian provides a fascinating look into how a nurse innovator can approach product development, the patent process and licensing.
- Where did Brian grow up? How did he get into the healthcare field and how did he transition into entrepreneurship?
- What led to his transitions from being a radiology tech to a medical tech to nursing?
- Brian talks about his experiences applying to a competitive nursing program.
- How did Brian develop CathWear and what sparked the initial idea?
- How did he first realize there was a patient problem to solve and how did he come up with his solution?
- How many iterations of the product did Brian have before he created the final version?
- What’s something Brian wishes he had known about the patent process that he knows now?
- What advice does he offer for anyone interested in pursuing a patent?
- What does the licensing process look like?
- Brian talks about his book, ‘From Cocaine to Christ: A Story of Redemption, Reconciliation and Recovery.’
3 Key Points:
- Nobody is going to be as passionate about your product or your idea as you are. Focus on that vision.
- Nurses are highly trusted and the products they create carry that authority and credibility.
- When developing products, address objections before they become objections. Turn would-be objections into features.
- “We’re the ones listening in an intimate setting to what the patients are really going through and trying to find solutions for them.” – Brian Mohika
- “The vision is yours. So you can’t go outside of yourself and try to get that approval. You have to continue on and know that it works…because it’s your vision.” – Brian Mohika
- CathWear Website: https://cathwear.com/
- CathWear Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CathWearOfficial/
- CathWear Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cathwearofficial/
- From Cocaine to Christ Book: https://www.amazon.com/Cocaine-Christ-Redemption-Reconciliation-Recovery/dp/1585020451/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=from+cocaine+to+christ&qid=1580450023&sr=8-1
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #HealthcareBoss #healthcare #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #patientcare #productdevelopment #patentprocess #innovation