Dr. Scharmaine Lawson, FNP, FAANP, FAAN, nationally recognized and award-winning nurse practitioner speaks with Jason A. Duprat, Entrepreneur, Healthcare Practitioner, and Host of the Healthcare Entrepreneur Academy Podcast. In this episode, Dr. Lawson talks about how to launch a successful housecall practice. She also shares the pros and cons of running this type of practice and gives valuable advice for creating a public relations strategy.
- Where did Dr. Lawson grow up and how did she enter healthcare?
- How long was Dr. Lawson a travel nurse?
- How long did she practice as a nurse practitioner and what was her specialty?
- What happened to healthcare jobs in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina?
- What was the main reason Dr. Lawson first started her house call practice?
- How does the house call business model work? Is it self-pay? Do you still have to bill insurance?
- What is Dr. Lawson’s advice for someone who wants to build their own house call business?
- What are some pros and cons of the house call business model?
- How long did Dr. Lawson practice with this business model?
- How did she start her online business? How did she know there was a need for this type of healthcare education?
- What did the first iteration of Dr. Lawson’s course look like and how did she attract her first students?
- What were her early successes with the early iterations of her course and what did she learn from this experience?
- What are some tips and tricks for building a personal or business brand?
- Was appearing on the ‘Today Show’ with Katie Couric an intentional public relations strategy for Dr. Lawson?
- What was her motivation for authoring the ‘Nola the Nurse’ series?
3 Key Points:
- How you operate your house call business and determine which services you’ll provide will depend on the laws governed by your state board. Do your research first.
- As a business owner, listen to your clients. They’ll tell you what they’re looking for.
- You can passionately advocate for your brand, business, and ideas by getting in front of the media. Don’t be shy!
- “The people who do the best in this type of genre or specialty are people who have ER experience because you never know what you’re going to get…or healthcare providers who have done home health.” – Dr. Scharmaine Lawson
- “You really can’t be afraid to just highlight or trumpet your idea.” – Dr. Scharmaine Lawson
- Dr. Scharmaine Lawson’s Website https://drlawsonnp.com/
- ‘Nola the Nurse’ Book Series https://nolathenurse.com/
- Medical Economics Magazine https://www.medicaleconomics.com/
- The American Association of Nurse Practitioners https://www.aanp.org/
- National Black Nurses Association https://www.nbna.org/
#HealthcareEntrepreneurAcademy #HealthcareBoss #healthcare #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #housecallpractice #nursepreneur #nursepractioner #PR